The postman's knock

How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude! 
Emily Dickinson, letter to Mrs. J.S. Cooper, 1880

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
W.H. Auden

I miss writing and getting letters...although I'm a huge technology geek it seems like the only mail I get is credit card offers, catalogs and charities asking for funds. At Christmas there are a few handwritten cards but most recently email and e-cards are the way to go. I joined Postcrossing in the fall but only recently started sending out postcards. Since I collect vintage postcards I thought this might be a fun hobby and something to look forward to in the mail. So far I've sent out approximately eight and I'm sure any day now I'll be getting some mail from someone in another part of the world. I also like thinking that sending out postcards is keeping the USPS in business! By the way Postcrossing is free; the only cost postage, postcards and your time. 

Today, think about spending a little time and money and jotting off a postcard to a friend. I found some lovely art cards in a local shop that didn't cost very much money. Cheaper than a greeting card and for most people much more fun to receive than an email. Now get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag

Labels: ,