July-the potato salad gets iffy

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness.  You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." Erma Bombeck

July 5th! Happy Birthday MOM!

This weekend I felt like I was on vacation. Even though I stayed close to home we ate and drank with friends, stayed at a hotel downtown, went to the Art Festival at America the Beautiful Park, spent a wonderful afternoon and evening at a friend's cottage in the mountains near Eleven Mile Reservoir, and took a leisurely walk along Fountain Creek. We bought two art pieces for the garden and I spent the morning weeding the flower bed. No picnics or fireworks but definitely a relaxing way to spend the weekend. I feel a lot of gratitude for the beauty of Colorado this weekend. 

Tonight I'll make some potato salad (keeping the iffy) out of it, eat a hot dog and feel like I've done my part in celebrating the best parts of America. Happy Fourth of July Weekend!

Lovingly,

The Writing Nag