September is here!

"But now in September the garden has cooled, and with it my possessiveness. The sun warms my back instead of beating on my head ... The harvest has dwindled, and I have grown apart from the intense midsummer relationship that brought it on." Robert Finch

This has been the best summer I ever spent in Colorado; weather-wise, rainy afternoons, not so sweltering hot and just a pleasant place to be. I wanted to take a picture of my favorite pumpkin I rescued from the garden before the squirrels got to it but my memory card is MIA. I hope to find it by tomorrow and post it.

I have been reading a lot of young adult books, mostly because I want to write one. Or at least that's my goal for the next year. I just finished Kissing the Bee by Kathe Koja and I loved it. You can find good writing in all genres and this book inspired me. It was one of those books I read and think "wow, I can never write like this," while simultaneously thinking "wow, maybe I can write like this." On that same note, I thought I should pass on the link to our Goddard literary journal. On the right hand side of the blog are links to many of my classmates work. They are a talented group of people. I didn't submit work this time because I was part of the editing process. But maybe next year!

My friend Dan who will be winning the Newbury Award for his soon-to-be published young adult book has an excerpt on the site.

As does my friend and award-winning poet, Yvonne Garcia, her poetry and photography here.

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag