Give a girl an education


Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without further expense to anybody. Jane Austen


School has started for most of the students in Colorado Springs but I still have about six weeks before I start the next semester. I'm behind in all of my creative works because I've been concentrating on the work that pays the bills. Finding a balance can be difficult, I know that if I work hard on my part-time freelance work I will have the reward of a paycheck and life will be a little easier but in the back of my mind...I want to write poetry and put together a chapbook. Letting too many days go by without writing creatively can also make it harder to get back to the habit. I took a health class once and the teacher stressed that missing too many days of exercise can make it harder to get back to the health habit. Her rule was don't go more than 3 days without doing some sort of exercise, even if its 10 sit ups while you're watching TV. I think of her rule when I've missed too many writing days. I know it's easy to say you don't have time but continue to flex your writing muscle even if its 10 sentences in your notebook when you're watching TV. Today's prompt might help.

Inspired by Bonni Goldberg's Room to Write:
You have permission to write an entire page of junk. Get it all out there, no one needs to see it but you. Warm up your writing muscle just getting words on the page, they don't need to make sense. As Colette writes: "You will do foolish things but do them with enthusiasm." Now get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag