A Perfect Day

The best things in life are nearest:  Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you.  Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.  
Robert Louis Stevenson

In many of my creative writing groups we talked and wrote about what would be our version of a perfect day. When I look back in my writing notebooks and my personal journals there are many trips, days, and events that I considered to be perfect. They almost always include good food, good company, nature,  and no work. While I still haven't worked out the "no work" bit, I am convinced I could spend every day doing creative, fun things if I didn't have to earn a living. Instead I can dream and write about it.  Inspired by this book: Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It written years before the Power of Intention, I created the days I wanted to experience by writing about them.

Today, read poet Jane Gentry's poem On a Perfect Day and then spend some time writing your own poem or essay. If you're having a problem getting started consider using the clustering method outlined in Writing the Natural Way to help get all of your ideas out on the page. Now get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag