Walks In The Woods



Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.
John Lubbock


I am not bound for any public place, but for ground of my own where I have planted vines and orchard trees, and in the heat of the day climbed up into the healing shadow of the woods.
Wendell Berry


Last semester when I was in the middle of my six hour stressful writing sessions my husband and Cocoa would drag me to Palmer Park to walk. I would always come home with less anxiety and feeling more in control.It's easy to forget to get away and outside when daily life or projects seems to consume every hour. My friend and college buddy, Phyllis reminded me of that yesterday in a beautiful email. She has also been working on de-cluttering she wrote:
"Maybe we need to take a deep breath and give the outside some of that attention we feel escaping us. Then, slowly, we can crawl back into our own creative spaces."


What an insightful statement not to forget to have balance in your life. It is OK to take a break from your writing life or your work life, you will come back to it energized and enthused. This song No More Walks in the Wood is from the Eagles last album and it has become one of my favorite songs. The harmonies are beautiful. The lyrics are poet John Hollander's, Connecticut's poet laureate. The environmental message timely.


No More Walks In The Wood


Today, take a walk. Take a break. Sit in silence. Get away from the world for an hour or a day and then tomorrow you can get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag