Without Hope or Dispair


Isak Dinesen said that she wrote a little every day, without hope and without despair. I like that.
Raymond Carver




Raymond Carver is my favorite short story writer, but I have only recently been reading his poetry. This weekend I have been reading Ultra Marine which was published in 1986. What I like most about his poetry is what I like about his short stories, the language is simple, direct and the words memorable. He writes about universal themes but he uses little slices of ordinary life. When I read his work I think I can write poetry about anything, there are very few poets that make me think this. You can read some of his poems here.

Today write a poem about writing a poem as Raymond Carver did in his poem, An Account, let what's going on in your life today weave its way into the poem.

His poem starts:

He began the poem at the kitchen table,
one leg crossed over the other.

Halfway through it reads:

Last night he'd heard an account
of Frank's death from Ed, another neighbor


Now get back to work!
Lovingly,
The Writing Nag

Labels: , ,