What Works For Me...May Not Work For You

A creative block is the wall we erect to ward off the anxiety we suppose we'll experience if we sit down to work. Eric Maisel


I wanted to address a comment Jim made yesterday about my sculpting post...
In reference to one writers way of writing.

"I'm sure that's the case for some but writing is exactly like that for me. I write a basic story and then graft on bits here and there until the work is ready. I've written four novels that way and the fifth is shaping up exactly the same."

My posts are just meant to be exercises to prompt you to write. I find inspiration in quotes from other writers, poets, artists, creative folk etc. Some writers find they need to wait for inspiration I have found I need to hit the keys daily. This may not work for you. And many of the quotes may not emulate your writing life. Don't be discouraged if that's the case. Keep searching, keep learning, keep writing. It took me many years to figure out what works for me, during this time I read everything I could on creativity, writing, inspiration and became a fan of the expert on creativity, Dr. Eric Maisel. Some of his books for writers include:
Deep Writing: 7 Principles That Bring Ideas to Life
Living the Writer's Life
Write Mind: 299 Things Writers Should Never Say to Themselves (And What They Should Say Instead)

At the end of February I will be interviewing Eric on The Writing Nag as part of his blog tour to promote the paperback release of The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression I look forward to his visit and I hope you will stop back to read the interview. He has really tapped into an important piece of the creative soul.
Tomorrow, I will post more information about Eric Maisel's work. Today, spend some time writing your goals but this time write ones that you would think impossible and then enter them in this contest. You might want to read the guidelines first. January Contest. Now get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag

Labels: , , , ,