Rules for Writing a Novel

“There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.”
William Somerset Maugham


For me, writing a short story is much, much harder than writing a novel.
Lynn Abbey


My Rules:

1. Plan it.
2. Write it.
3. Edit it.* (see comment)
4. Submit it.


Sounds too simplistic doesn't it? Except many, many writers get hung up on number 1 and never make it to number 2. I'm sure you've encountered many writers who say "I want to write a novel about x but I don't know where to start." Unfortunately there's no magic starting place except for the place where you write or type the first word. My manuscript hasn't followed any pattern. I started by writing the last chapter or so I think. By the time it's done it may not be. But I know if I don't write it it will always be in the planning stage. Some books that have helped me:
This Year You Write Your Novel
Writing the Breakout Novel
On Writing
The Weekend Novelist
See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit
Some links I discovered on my 6 a.m. internet browsing:

The Snowflake Method of Writing a Novel

How Not to Write a Novel


A good blog I discovered through Blog Catalog is David B. Dale's Very Short Novels. Todays assignment if you choose to accept it- write a novel in 299 words. Not too scary, it's about a page and a half. Read several of David's before you start. Now get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag

Labels: , ,