A Poem Should Just Be

"A poem should not mean but be.
Archibald MacLeish
American Poet (1892-1982)

A good example of this quote is Maria Mazziotti Gillan's poem today on The Writer's Almanac, I have been reading a lot of her work lately and loving it. Although she writes a lot about growing up in New Jersey, many of her poems remind me of my childhood growing up in Waterbury, Connecticut.
Italian Women in Black Dresses (Essential Poets Series 116)
I read more of The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path Through Depression, Maisel writes of meaningful creating. How creative people struggle with finding meaning in their work. I can relate to this with my poetry. Not with meaning in the poem but why I need to write poetry...

More snow last night. I closed the restaurant early and came home to find the newest copy of the Writer.I was excited to see an article about writing/publishing online. The article written by the editor of failbetter.com addresses the growing markets of online literary magazines. It confirmed what I had been thinking, if you're looking just to get your name out, what better audience than the Internet.

some of the markets listed:


The Adirondack Review

Jacket
La Petite Zine
Slope
Identity Theory




Today, take a look at some of these websites. If you have work ready for publication, submit. Many of these literary magazines encourage email submissions.

Now get back to work!

Lovingly,
The Writing Nag

Labels: , , ,