Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.
It's October, set yourself on fire. How to join the submissionathon? Just post in the comments that you are "committing to submitting" for the month. On Nov 1, we'll check back and see how everyone did.
1. If you haven't done it yet, clean up your inbox. Set up folders for rejections and more importantly acceptances.
2. Set up a system to follow your work. I use an Excel spreadsheet. If it's a simultaneous submission let the editor know. (I've made this mistake before)
3. Know your market. Make sure what you're sending matches what the editor is looking for. Don't set yourself up for failure.
4. Submit at least one poem, essay, story, query, manuscript every day. Or at least seven every week. I'm choosing paying markets only. Your decision.
5. Be professional, write query letters and cover letters as requested.
6. Be positive, your work will find a place if it's your best work.
7. Don't overlook smaller paying markets, you may be able to sell a piece again and again as reprints.
8. Try at least one major market every week. It's good practice and you may just get your foot in the door.
You are taking important steps to becoming a published writer. Please share your successes here!
Now get to work!
The Writing Nag
Labels: Writing Nag's October Submissionathon