Make Your Own Circumstances


People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ~G.B. Shaw, Mrs. Warren's Profession, 1893


I picked this quote today mostly for myself. I can get into the trap of blaming my circumstances and start the downward spiral of self-doubt, fear, and negative self talk. This week I started my application process for going back to college in the spring. It inevitably brought up these messages...you're too old, not smart enough,why did you wait so long, what's that going to do for you? But I will persevere because I've wanted a degree in Creative Writing since I was in high school but at that time I thought it was too impractical. Twenty some years later I still think it might be impractical but now I don't care. I received notice that I won 2nd place in a poetry contest today...I forgot how much I sent out in July/August but that's 3 bits of good news for September and it's only the 8th! After the October Submissionathon there will be lots of good news to share, how's that for positive thinking!

Today, write about the circumstances you would choose for yourself, put aside the circumstances you find yourself in today. Set the timer for 30 minutes and just write! Now get back to work!

Lovingly,

The Writing Nag