Clamoring to become visible

The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible. ~Vladimir Nabokov

I had this feeling yesterday, I had started a poem months ago. Just a phrase. But when I love how words sound together I save it as a document so I don't forget it. I couldn't stop thinking about this phrase, I knew the words were there just waiting for their cue to open the curtain and appear on stage. And yesterday I gave them their cue and another poem was written. Is it perfect, is it ready for publication? No, not at all but now it's out there and I can refine it until it's ready. Find the courage to just write. Save your words, phrases, sentences in a small notebook or on your computer until you're ready, but don't let fear it's not good enough stop you.

I found this literary journal on my poetry board. Kim is a fellow writer/editor who is accepting submissions until the end of the year.There's no pay yet,just fame. But if you need to finish something and send it off to get your words out there. This may inspire you. It's called Route 66 Magazine and every story needs to have 66 words-no more, no less. I'm going to try, it's just small enough to call it a writing exercise. Today, write a complete story in 66 words. Then submit it. And as Kim says on her blog. Be Fearless. Now get back to work!

Lovingly,

The Writing Nag

Labels: , , ,