Writing For Yourself or the Market?

Write from the soul, not from some notion what you think the marketplace wants. The market is fickle; the soul is eternal.
Jeffrey A. Carver


At this years Pikes Peak Writers Conference, I was introduced to many agents and editors saying "here is what we want", "here is where the marketplace is " and it wasn't where I was so I panicked...in my frantic mind I was thinking I could write differently, I could give them what they wanted. But in reality, months later I know I can't. I write poetry,short stories and I'm writing a manuscript that may or may not sell and I'm OK with that. I think it's easier to write articles when the editor tells you exactly what they're looking for, but in fiction and poetry it's hard to take your voice and mold it to the market. It seems insincere and dishonest. I'm all for learning the craft and taking constructive criticism but I can't change my voice for the market. Today, write about your voice. When did you discover it and has it changed? Could you write in another voice to sell a manuscript? Now get back to work!

Lovingly,

The Writing Nag